Want to save money and find more competitive car insurance rates in Dickinson, ND? Scraping up a payment for high-priced car insurance in Dickinson can dry up your savings account and make it hard to pay other bills.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that over 70% of consumers renewed their policy with the same company for more than four years, and almost half have never compared rate quotes at all. With the average premium in America being $1,847, drivers could pocket nearly $860 a year, but they think it's difficult to find affordable car insurance rates.
Many insurers vie for your insurance dollar, and it can be difficult to compare rates to find the cheapest price on car insurance.
It's a good habit to take a look at other company's rates occasionally because insurance prices change quite often. Despite the fact that you may have had the best price on car insurance two years ago you may be paying too much now. Don't believe everything you read about car insurance online, but you can learn the easiest ways to reduce your car insurance bill.
When quoting auto insurance, remember that having more price comparisons increases your odds of finding the best rates. Not every company allows you to get online price quotes, so you should also compare price estimates from the smaller companies as well.
The companies in the list below offer quotes in North Dakota. If multiple providers are shown, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LTZ||$1,004||$502||$84|
|Chevrolet Silverado LT Regular Cab||$858||$429||$72|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab TRX4 Off Road 4WD||$932||$466||$78|
|Ford Edge SEL 2WD||$1,000||$500||$83|
|Ford Escape Limited 4WD||$734||$367||$61|
|Ford F-150 XL Regular Cab 2WD||$1,018||$509||$85|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$934||$467||$78|
|GMC Sierra SL Crew Cab 4WD||$1,016||$508||$85|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$1,016||$508||$85|
|Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD||$796||$398||$66|
|Honda Civic EX 4-Dr Sedan||$1,120||$560||$93|
|Mazda 3 I SV 4-Dr Sedan||$704||$352||$59|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2-Dr Coupe||$1,374||$687||$115|
|Toyota Camry XLE||$1,262||$631||$105|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,016||$508||$85|
|Toyota RAV4 Sport 2WD||$1,072||$536||$89|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$918||$459||$77|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Dakota minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Prices do not factor in your specific Dickinson location which can modify auto insurance rates greatly.
Gender-based car insurance rates by age in Dickinson
The information below shows the difference between premium costs for male and female drivers in Dickinson. The premiums are based on a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, full physical damage coverage, $250 deductibles, marital status is single, and no discounts are taken into consideration on a Hyundai Elantra Blue.
Hyundai Elantra rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Physical damage deductibles
One of the most common car insurance questions is what deductibles to buy. The following tables show the rate fluctuation when you choose different physical damage coverage deductibles. The first table uses a $100 deductible for comprehensive and collision coverage and the second rate table uses a $500 deductible.
Ford Fusion rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$260||$470||$302||$18||$90||$1,165||$97|
|Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$294||$554||$302||$18||$90||$1,283||$107|
|Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$294||$638||$378||$22||$114||$1,471||$123|
|Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$294||$554||$302||$18||$90||$1,283||$107|
|Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$294||$554||$302||$18||$90||$1,283||$107|
|Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$328||$638||$302||$18||$90||$1,401||$117|
|Fusion Sport AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$328||$638||$302||$18||$90||$1,401||$117|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Fusion S 4-Dr Sedan||$190||$318||$302||$18||$90||$918||$77|
|Fusion SE 4-Dr Sedan||$214||$374||$302||$18||$90||$998||$83|
|Fusion Hybrid 4-Dr Sedan||$214||$432||$378||$22||$114||$1,160||$97|
|Fusion SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$214||$374||$302||$18||$90||$998||$83|
|Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$214||$374||$302||$18||$90||$998||$83|
|Fusion SEL AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$240||$432||$302||$18||$90||$1,082||$90|
|Fusion Sport AWD 4-Dr Sedan||$240||$432||$302||$18||$90||$1,082||$90|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and North Dakota minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and safe-driver. Table data does not factor in zip code location which can change premiums considerably.
We can derive from the above data that using a $100 deductible will cost in the ballpark of $25 more each month or $300 a year than selecting the higher $500 deductible. Since the policyholder would be required to pay $400 more if you file a claim with a $500 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you tend to go at least 16 months between claims, you would more than likely save some money if you elect the higher deductible.
Why you need auto insurance
Despite the potentially high cost of auto insurance, buying auto insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
- Almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a minimum amount of liability insurance in order to drive the car legally. In North Dakota these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, it's most likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to ensure they get paid if you total the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender will be forced to insure your vehicle for a much higher rate and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Auto insurance preserves both your assets and your car. It will also reimburse you for all forms of medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses in the event you are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your auto insurance policy will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, particularly for liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in North Dakota is wasting up to $855 a year so we recommend shopping around at least once a year to make sure the price is not too high.
How insurance companies determine insurance rates
An important part of buying insurance is that you know the rating factors that play a part in calculating the rates you pay for insurance. When you understand what influences your rates, this allows you to make good choices that may reward you with better insurance rates.
Traffic violations cost more than a fine - Drivers who don't get tickets pay lower auto insurance prices compared to bad drivers. Even one speeding ticket or other violation can boost insurance rates by as much as twenty percent. Drivers who have received careless violations such as DUI or willful reckless driving may find that they have to to maintain a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
Lower deductibles cost more - Deductibles for physical damage state the amount of money you are required to spend in the event of a claim. Physical damage protection, commonly called comprehensive (or other-than-collision) and collision coverage, is used to repair damage to your car. Some coverage claims are rearending another vehicle, animal collisions, and damage caused by road hazards. The more money you choose to pay out-of-pocket, the better rate you will receive.
Do you work long hours in a high stress occupation? - Did you know your career choice can influence rates? Occupational choices like doctors, architects and miners are shown to have higher rates than average attributed to intense work requirements and incredibly demanding work hours. On the flip side, careers such as scientists, engineers and retirees have the lowest average rates.
Responsible credit equals lower rates - A driver's credit rating is a big factor in your rate calculation. Therefore, if your credit score is lower than you'd like, you could save money insuring your vehicle by improving your credit score. People that have excellent credit scores tend to be less risk to insure as compared to drivers with poor credit scores.
Lower rates by qualifying for discounts
Some providers don't necessarily list the entire discount list very well, so the below list has a few of the more well known as well as the least known credits available to bring down your rates.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Adding a new car to your policy is cheaper since newer models have better safety ratings.
- Safety Restraint Discount - Requiring all passengers to wear their seat belts could cut 10% or more off the medical payments premium.
- Discount for Low Mileage - Driving less could earn lower rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Distant Student Discount - Kids living away from Dickinson attending college and won't have access to an insured vehicle could qualify for this discount.
- Data Collection Discounts - Insureds who allow their insurance company to analyze where and when they drive by using a small device installed in their vehicle such as State Farm's In-Drive could save a few bucks if they are good drivers.
- Senior Citizen Rates - Older drivers may be able to get lower premium rates.
- Discount for Good Grades - Excelling in school can earn a discount of 20% or more. You can use this discount normally well after school through age 25.
- Accident Waiver - This isn't a discount exactly, but a few companies such as Allstate, State Farm and GEICO will let one accident slide without getting socked with a rate hike if your claims history is clear prior to the accident.
Drivers should understand that most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. A few only apply to individual premiums such as comp or med pay. Despite the appearance that having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn't work that way.
A list of auto insurance companies and some of the discounts are:
- AAA offers premium reductions for multi-policy, AAA membership discount, education and occupation, good student, multi-car, and good driver.
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-policy, online quote discount, homeowner, continuous coverage, and online signing.
- State Farm offers discounts including good student, safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, anti-theft, and good driver.
- Esurance offers discounts for online quote, multi-car, emergency road assistance, Switch & Save, DriveSense, Pac-12 alumni, and good student.
- Nationwide discounts include good student, defensive driving, business or organization, Farm Bureau membership, accident-free, and easy pay.
Before you buy a policy, ask every company how many discounts you can get. A few discounts might not be offered in Dickinson. If you would like to see a list of insurers who offer free auto insurance quotes in North Dakota, follow this link.
Auto insurance is unique, just like you
Always remember that when buying the right insurance coverage, there really isn't a perfect coverage plan. Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
For example, these questions can help discover if your situation will benefit from professional help.
- Are there companies who specialize in insuring high-risk drivers?
- Is my covered if I use it for business?
- Is water damage covered by my policy?
- Is my nanny covered when transporting my kids?
- Should I have combined single limit or split liability limits?
- How can I get high-risk coverage after a DUI?
- Do I need roadside assistance coverage?
- When can my company non-renew my policy?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
If you can't answer these questions then you might want to talk to a licensed agent. If you don't have a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Shop around and save
Insureds switch companies for any number of reasons including an unsatisfactory settlement offer, denial of a claim, being labeled a high risk driver or even delays in paying claims. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, choosing a new insurance company can be less work than you think.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don't be tempted to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many instances, an insured dropped collision coverage to discover at claim time they didn't have enough coverage. Your focus should be to buy the best coverage you can find at the best possible price while still protecting your assets.
More affordable car insurance in Dickinson is available online and also from your neighborhood Dickinson agents, and you should be comparing both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who may not offer rate quotes online and most of the time these small insurance companies prefer to sell through independent agents.
For more information, feel free to browse these articles:
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- What is the Best Car Insurance in Lisbon, North Dakota? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable North Dakota Car Insurance Rates for 19 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Under 21 in North Dakota? (FAQ)
- What is the Best Auto Insurance in Carrington, ND? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Drivers with a Bad Driving Record in North Dakota? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 60 in North Dakota? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Hybrid Vehicles in North Dakota? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for Seniors in North Dakota? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Low Mileage Drivers in North Dakota? (FAQ)
- How Much are North Dakota Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Escape? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest North Dakota Car Insurance Rates with Multiple Speeding Tickets? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates in North Dakota? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Auto Insurance in West Fargo, ND? (FAQ)
- Determining Your Vehicle's Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)