Did you fall for a flashy sales pitch and buy overpriced insurance? Believe me when I say many Bismarck drivers feel the same as you.
Unbelievably, the vast majority of consumers have purchased from the same company for at least the last four years, and practically 40% of insurance customers have never compared rate quotes at all. With the average insurance premium being $2,000, North Dakota drivers could save roughly $700 each year just by getting comparison quotes, but most just don't grasp the amount of savings they would get if they just switched companies.
There is such a variety of insurers to purchase coverage from, and even though it's nice to be able to choose, too many choices makes it more difficult to locate the cheapest rates.
Buying the cheapest insurance in Bismarck is really not that difficult. In a nutshell, every vehicle owner who needs lower cost insurance should find a better price. But North Dakota vehicle owners must comprehend how insurance companies calculate your insurance rates because it can help you find the best coverage.
The best way to compare car insurance company rates is to know the fact most of the larger companies participate in a system to provide you with free rate quotes. To get started, all you need to do is provide information including an estimate of your credit level, if a SR-22 is required, the type of vehicles you drive, and how you use your vehicles. That rating information is instantly sent to insurance carriers in your area and they return quotes almost instantly.
If you wish to get multiple quotes for your car now, click here and enter your coverage details.
The following companies are ready to provide price comparisons in Bismarck, ND. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you visit as many as you can in order to find the lowest rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD||$954||$477||$80|
|Chevrolet Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$916||$458||$76|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Crew||$1,100||$550||$92|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT 2WD||$1,042||$521||$87|
|Ford Escape XLT 2WD||$880||$440||$73|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD||$860||$430||$72|
|Ford F-150 STX Super Cab 2WD||$740||$370||$62|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,046||$523||$87|
|Ford Fusion Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,016||$508||$85|
|Honda Accord LX-P 4-Dr Sedan||$910||$455||$76|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$906||$453||$76|
|Honda Civic LX 4-Dr Sedan||$986||$493||$82|
|Hyundai Sonata SE 4-Dr Sedan||$1,064||$532||$89|
|Mazda 3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Sedan||$998||$499||$83|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$974||$487||$81|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,100||$550||$92|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,156||$578||$96|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Dakota minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Prices do not factor in specific location which can modify premiums greatly.
Cost comparison with and without full coverage
The information below shows the difference between Hyundai Elantra insurance costs with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The premium estimates are based on no claims or driving citations, $100 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Hyundai Elantra rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
When to eliminate full coverage
There is no definitive formula to eliminate physical damage coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the yearly cost of comp and collision coverage is more than around 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Hyundai Elantra replacement value is $3,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled in an accident, the most you would receive is $2,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying more than $200 a year for your policy with full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are a few cases where dropping physical damage coverage is not recommended. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you must maintain physical damage coverage in order to prevent the bank from purchasing higher-priced coverage. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not remove full coverage.
Age-based car insurance rates by gender
The diagram below illustrates the comparison of yearly insurance costs for male and female drivers in Bismarck. The costs are based on no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, comprehensive and collision coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are applied on a Kia Optima SX.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rate quotes for your specific vehicle, click here.
Three reasons insurance is important
Even though it can be expensive, insuring your vehicle is required by state law in North Dakota and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- Just about all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry specific limits of liability coverage in order to drive the car legally. In North Dakota these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your vehicle with a loan, it's guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you have full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If the policy lapses, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and require you to fork over the higher price.
- Insurance safeguards both your assets and your vehicle. Insurance will pay for hospital and medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your car definitely exceed the cost, particularly for liability claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is wasting up to $865 each year so we recommend shopping around at every policy renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Get cheaper car insurance with discounts
Car insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you may qualify for discounts to reduce the price significantly. Certain discounts will be triggered automatically at the time you complete a quote, but a few need to be manually applied before you will receive the discount.
- Early Payment Discounts - If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying in monthly installments you could save up to 5%.
- Senior Citizen Discount - Mature drivers are able to get a slight reduction on a Bismarck car insurance quote.
- Government Employees - Having worked for a branch of the government can save as much as 8% depending on your company.
- Good Students Pay Less - Being a good student can save 20 to 25%. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
- Service Members Pay Less - Being deployed with a military unit can result in better prices.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts - Drivers who insure multiple vehicles with one company could earn a price break for each car.
- Theft Prevention Discount - Cars, trucks, and SUVs equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems help deter theft and will save you 10% or more.
- Driver's Ed - Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to enroll and complete driver's education in high school.
- Own a Home and Save - Just owning your own home can get you a discount since owning and maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
It's important to note that some of the credits will not apply to all coverage premiums. Some only reduce individual premiums such as liability, collision or medical payments. Despite the fact that it seems like it's possible to get free car insurance, companies don't profit that way.
Larger car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are outlined below.
- State Farm policyholders can earn discounts including anti-theft, student away at school, good student, passive restraint, driver's education, safe vehicle, and defensive driving training.
- GEICO includes discounts for driver training, federal employee, emergency military deployment, five-year accident-free, membership and employees, and air bags.
- Liberty Mutual offers discounts including safety features, new graduate, multi-car, preferred payment discount, new move discount, and newly retired.
- The Hartford has discounts for good student, driver training, anti-theft, defensive driver, vehicle fuel type, bundle, and air bag.
- MetLife may have discounts that include defensive driver, good driver, accident-free, good student, and multi-policy.
- Progressive offers discounts for continuous coverage, online quote discount, homeowner, good student, online signing, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy.
It's a good idea to ask every company which discounts can lower your rates. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be available to policyholders in your area. To choose car insurance companies who offer discounts in North Dakota, follow this link.
What if I want to buy from local Bismarck auto insurance agents?
A lot of people just want to talk to a local agent and that can be a great decision The best thing about price shopping on the web is that drivers can save money and get cheap insurance quotes and still have an agent to talk to.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), your information is instantly submitted to local insurance agents in Bismarck who will give you quotes for your business. You won't even need to find an agent on your own due to the fact that quote results will go instantly to you. You'll get the best rates without requiring a lot of work. If for some reason you want to compare prices from a specific insurance company, you would need to jump over to their website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Picking a insurer requires you to look at more than just the premium amount. These are valid questions to ask:
- Do you qualify for any additional discounts?
- Does the agency have a current Errors and Omissions policy?
- How long has their agency been open in Bismarck?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Will their companies depreciate repairs to your car based on the mileage?
If you need to find a good insurance agency, it's helpful to know the different types of agents and how they are distinctly different. Insurance policy providers can be described as either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive insurance agents can only place business with one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot give you multiple price quotes so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies receive extensive training on their company's products which can be an advantage.
The following are exclusive insurance agencies in Bismarck that can give you comparison quotes.
Scott Reuppel - State Farm Insurance Agent
3831 Lockport St - Bismarck, ND 58503 - (701) 223-6523 - View Map
These type of agents are appointed with more than one company so they can insure your vehicles through many different insurance companies and potentially find a lower price. If premiums increase, they simply switch companies in-house and you can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing rate quotes, you should always include independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agencies in Bismarck that are able to give rate quotes.
After talking to the agent and getting satisfactory answers to any questions you have and an affordable coverage quote, you may have found an insurance agency that is a good match to provide insurance coverage. Keep in mind you can terminate coverage at any point so never feel that you are obligated to a specific company for a certain time period.
How do I know if I need professional advice?
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your vehicles, there really isn't a cookie cutter policy. Everyone's situation is unique so your insurance should reflect that Here are some questions about coverages that might point out whether or not you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Are rock chip repairs covered?
- Is my business laptop covered if it gets stolen from my vehicle?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Am I getting all the discounts available?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- Is a blown tire covered by insurance?
- Can I drive in Mexico and have coverage?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
If you're not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, take a second and complete this form or click here for a list of auto insurance companies in your area.
Lower rates by being persistent
Some companies do not provide online quoting and most of the time these smaller providers only sell coverage through local independent agents. Discount car insurance is available both online in addition to local insurance agencies, so you need to compare both to have the best selection.
When getting Bismarck car insurance quotes online, it's a bad idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. In many cases, an insured dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to discover later that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your focus should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the lowest possible cost while not skimping on critical coverages.
More tips and info about car insurance can be read by following these links:
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are North Dakota Auto Insurance Rates for a Nissan Sentra? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable North Dakota Car Insurance for a 20 Year Old Male? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Infrequent Drivers in North Dakota? (FAQ)
- How Much are North Dakota Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Escape? (FAQ)
- What is Full Coverage? (Allstate)
- Tread Depth and Tire Safety (State Farm)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)