How long has it been since the last time you looked for cheaper car insurance rates in Fargo, ND? Fargo shoppers have lots of choices when shopping for affordable Chevy Malibu insurance. You can either spend your time contacting agents to get rate comparisons or save time using the internet to find the lowest rates. There are more efficient ways to buy car insurance and we'll show you the quickest way to quote coverages for your Chevy and locate the lowest possible price from both online companies and Fargo agents.
Shocking but true, the vast majority of drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for over three years, and just under half have never compared rate quotes at all. American drivers can save roughly $850 each year just by comparing rates, but they assume it's a waste of time to shop their coverage around.
It's a good idea to compare rates on a regular basis since insurance prices are constantly changing. Just because you found the lowest price on Chevy Malibu insurance in Fargo six months ago other companies may now be cheaper. Forget anything you know (or think you know) about car insurance because I'm going to teach you the best way to find lower rates on car insurance.
Where can I get affordable Fargo Chevy Malibu insurance?
The auto insurance companies shown below offer quotes in Fargo, ND. If multiple providers are shown, we suggest you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and North Dakota minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-vehicle, homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Price estimates do not factor in specific location information which can change prices significantly.
Chevrolet Malibu liability-only versus full coverage
The illustration below shows the difference between Chevrolet Malibu insurance rates with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in North Dakota. The costs are based on no violations or accidents, $100 deductibles, married male driver, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Guidelines for dropping full coverage
There is no definitive formula to stop paying for comp and collision coverage, but there is a guideline you can consider. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than about 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then it's probably a good time to buy liability coverage only.
For example, let's say your Chevrolet Malibu replacement value is $5,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is destroyed, the most you would receive is $4,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are currently paying more than $400 a year for full coverage, then you may want to consider only buying liability coverage.
There are some situations where dropping full coverage is not recommended. If you still owe money on your vehicle, you have to carry full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if your emergency fund is not enough to purchase a different vehicle if your current one is damaged, you should not eliminate full coverage.
Three reasons to insure your Chevy vehicle
Despite the high cost, buying auto insurance is required by state law in North Dakota and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In North Dakota these limits are 25/50/25 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Malibu, almost every bank will make it a condition of the loan that you have insurance to guarantee payment of the loan. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your Chevy at a much higher premium rate and require you to pay the higher price.
- Auto insurance preserves both your Chevy and your assets. It will also pay for hospital and medical expenses that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are sued as the result of your driving. If your Chevy gets damaged, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having auto insurance greatly outweigh the cost, especially when you need to use it. Today the average American driver is currently overpaying as much as $750 every year so you should quote and compare rates each time the policy renews to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Cheap Chevy Malibu insurance in Fargo
Insurance can be prohibitively expensive, but you might be missing out on some discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Some discounts apply automatically at the time of quoting, but some discounts are required to be specifically requested prior to getting the savings.
- Online Discount - A few insurance companies may give you up to $50 for buying a policy and signing up on the web.
- Theft Deterrent Discount - Cars equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems are less likely to be stolen and will qualify for a discount on a Fargo auto insurance quote.
- Auto/Home Discount - If you insure your home and vehicles with the same insurance company you could earn a discount of up to 20% and get you low cost Chevrolet Malibu insurance.
- One Accident Forgiven - This one is not really a discount per se, but a handful of insurance companies may permit one accident without getting socked with a rate hike so long as you haven't had any claims prior to being involved in the accident.
- Military Deployment Discount - Having a family member in the military could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Safe Driver Discount - Drivers who don't get into accidents can pay as much as 50% less compared to accident prone drivers.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts - Cars with anti-lock braking systems can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Senior Discount - Drivers that qualify as senior citizens may be able to get a slight reduction on a Fargo auto insurance quote.
It's important to understand that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire policy premium. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. So even though you would think you would end up receiving a 100% discount, companies wouldn't make money that way.
The best insurance companies and their offered discounts can be read below.
- State Farm may have discounts that include Steer Clear safe driver discount, driver's education, multiple autos, multiple policy, passive restraint, and safe vehicle.
- American Family offers discounts including mySafetyValet, defensive driver, good driver, air bags, early bird, and bundled insurance.
- GEICO offers discounts for air bags, good student, federal employee, military active duty, and defensive driver.
- 21st Century includes discounts for student driver, theft prevention, 55 and older, good student, teen driver, early bird, and automatic seat belts.
- Progressive has savings for online signing, multi-policy, homeowner, multi-vehicle, good student, online quote discount, and continuous coverage.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every insurance company which discounts you may be entitled to. Depending on the company, some discounts may not apply in Fargo.
Auto insurance is available from local insurance agents
Many drivers would rather talk to an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Experienced insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help you file claims. An additional benefit of getting online price quotes is you may find the best rates and still buy from a local agent.
After completing this simple form, your information is immediately sent to local insurance agents who will gladly provide quotes for your insurance coverage. It's much easier because you don't need to contact an agency because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, don't hesitate to jump over to their website and give them your coverage information.
Choosing the best insurer needs to be determined by more than just the quoted price. These are some questions you should get answers to.
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in North Dakota?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- When do they do a full risk review?
Multiple types of auto insurance agents in Fargo
If you want an insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the different types of agents to choose from. Fargo agents can be categorized as either exclusive agents or independent agents. Either type can insure your vehicles properly, but it is a good idea to know the subtle differences because it can influence your agent selection.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents of this type are contracted to one company such as American Family, State Farm, and AAA. These agents are unable to shop your coverage around so always compare other rates. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on sales techniques which aids in selling service over price. Consumers frequently buy from exclusive agents partially due to the brand legacy instead of buying on price only.
The following are Fargo exclusive agents that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Farmers Union Insurance - North Dakota
623 Main Ave E #106 - West Fargo, ND 58078 - (701) 282-9402 - View Map
- American Family Insurance - Micah Arnold
4040 42nd St S Ste N - Fargo, ND 58104 - (701) 241-7600 - View Map
- Mike Conzemius - State Farm Insurance Agent
1313 14th Ave S - Fargo, ND 58103 - (701) 293-5464 - View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents are not limited to a single company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest auto insurance rates. If they quote lower rates, they simply move the coverage in-house and you don't have to switch agencies.
If you are comparing rate quotes, we highly recommend that you get quotes from a couple of independent agencies for maximum quote selection. Most can insure with smaller regional carriers which may have better rates.
Shown below is a short list of independent agencies in Fargo willing to provide price quote information.
- Wells Fargo Insurance Services
1020 36th St S c - Fargo, ND 58103 - (701) 280-8860 - View Map
- First International Insurance
4554 38th Ave S a - Fargo, ND 58104 - (701) 293-5910 - View Map
- RJ Bailey Insurance Center
3611 Lincoln St S c - Fargo, ND 58104 - (701) 356-7001 - View Map
Insurance can be complex
When it comes to choosing coverage online or from an agent for your personal vehicles, there isn't really a cookie cutter policy. You are unique so this has to be addressed. These are some specific questions may help you determine if you would benefit from professional advice.
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- How much coverage applies to personal belongings?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Should I buy full coverage?
- When would I need rental car insurance?
- At what point should I drop full coverage?
- Is my Chevy Malibu covered for flood damage?
- Are my tools covered if they get stolen from my vehicle?
- Can I cancel at any time?
If you're not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, you may need to chat with a licensed insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or you can go here for a list of companies in your area. It's fast, free and you can get the answers you need.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
Some companies may not provide online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies provide coverage only through local independent agencies. The cheapest Chevy Malibu insurance in Fargo can be purchased both online in addition to local insurance agencies, and you need to price shop both to get a complete price analysis.
When shopping online for auto insurance, do not buy poor coverage just to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut physical damage coverage only to discover later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your focus should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at a price you can afford while still protecting your assets.
We've covered a lot of techniques to find affordable Chevy Malibu insurance in Fargo. The most important thing to understand is the more times you quote, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. Regional companies may only write in your state and offer lower rates than their larger competitors like State Farm, GEICO and Nationwide.
For more information, link through to these articles:
- Insuring a Leased Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Handicapped Drivers in North Dakota? (FAQ)
- How Much is North Dakota Auto Insurance for 18 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Single Moms in North Dakota? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for a Nissan Altima in North Dakota? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest North Dakota Auto Insurance Rates for a Honda Pilot? (FAQ)
- Distracted Driving Extends Beyond Texting (State Farm)
- Information for Teen Drivers (GEICO)